ECP and EECP Clinical Trials have been performed & published nearly 200 times demonstrating ECP and EECP Therapy to be an effective treatment for patients that suffer from symptoms of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). External Counterpulsation Therapy is an incredibly effective treatment continuing gaining popularity among patients and medical providers in the U.S. With the new cost-conscious landscape of the healthcare industry, more and more physicians are re-considering External Counterpulsation Therapy as a viable treatment option for their practice because of the great clinical and financial benefits.
Mechanical Function of ECP & EECP Therapy
- Increases venous return
- Increases preload (stretch of heart when filling)
- Increases cardiac output of the heart
- Promotes retrograde arterial blood flow
- Increases diastolic pressure by increasing intra-coronary perfusion
- Increases vascular recoil
- Enhances systolic unloading (decreasing afterload)
- Decreases overall systemic vascular resistance
- Decreases myocardial oxygen consumption
- Sustainable Increase in blood flow to the heart (coronary perfusion)
- The shear stress by retrograde arterial flow improves endothelial function
- Peripheral training benefits (similar to exercise)
- Cardiac Remodeling effects from rehabilitating stunned & hibernated myocardium (muscle tissue)
- Promotes the development of Collateralization
- Improves oxygen consumption (VO2) resulting in increased exercise tolerance
- Regression of atherosclerosis
- Improves ventricular function
- Increases Cardiac Output
- Decreases workload of the heart
- Release in growth factors stimulating growth of new vessels
- Increases Coronary Pressure
- Increases levels of nitric oxide and ANP
- Decreases levels of Endothelium and BNP
- Acute Improvement in Peripheral Endothelial function (increase in RH-PAT index)
- Increases time to the onset of ischemia
- Decreases frequency & severity of Angina episodes
- Long Term reduction in Angina & Heart Failure Classifications
- Decreases or eliminates necessity for medication (including Nitroglycerin & Ranexa)
Clinical Applications for ECP | EECP Therapy:
In addition to the current clinical application for Angina & coronary disease, ECP has also demonstrated clinical benefit in other areas. Some of them include:
- Exercise replacement / Wellness therapy – this is good for all population but particularly useful for those with bad backs, hips, knees etc. Great source for weekly exercise (3 days per week @ 25 minutes per session) Click to view – ECP Equivalent to exercise
- Erectile Dysfunction – for ED, we suggest 20 sessions at 30 minutes each
- Cerebral disorders – dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, depression etc
- Peripheral vascular disease – symptoms improve with improvement in micro vascular perfusion & improved endothelial function
- Parkinson’s disease (not sure how, but motor skills improve and less medication is needed)
- Recovery from intense athletic training – common use with ECP as the squeeze mechanism help remove lactic acid in the extremities. ECP has proven to not only improve the recovery time, but enhance the quality of the recovery.
- Improve circulation – great option for patients concerned about lack of circulation. The concept is easy for patients to understand that ECP augments the body’s natural healing process.
- Heart Failure – increase in perfusion improves contractility & VO2 max
- Inflammatory Disorders – Since ECP has proven to reduce inflammation in the body, there is evidence that it can help for a wide array of inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and other forms of chronic pain.
- Neuropathy – ECP restores flow to all parts of the body including the peripheral neuropathic systems. We have seen improvement in peripheral neuropathy (and other forms of autonomic neuropathies) with the mechanical restoration of oxygenated blood flow.
- Diabetes – There are multiple studies that show ECP helps improve glycemic control by improving absorption of glucose & reducing insulin resistance. Also, ECP improves micro-vascular function, reduces inflammation with are key components to slowing the progression or prolonging complications associated with diabetes.
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) – The mechanism of delivering oxygenated blood flow to the coronary arteries has shown to improve symptoms of POTS by stimulating activity & restoring cardiac autonomic regulation via the Autonomic Nervous System.
- Covid-19 – (click to view Long Covid Studies) – ECP has demonstrated stimulation of the Vagus Nerve to improve many of the long term affects from the Covid Virus – aka Long Covid
- Aerobic / endurance training for athletes – improve peak endurance training for cyclists, triathletes, MMA etc. Also great for recovery from intense training as well as expediting recovery time for injuries. Click – ECP Equivalent to exercise (improve Aerobic capacity / improves exercise tolerance)
These are just some additional support information about the various applications for ECP Therapy. For more clinical support, visit https://ecptherapy.com/ecp-eecp-clinical-trials/ or visit the International Society of ECP Therapy at – http://www.ieecps.org/pdf/IEECPS_Bibliography_20170126.pdf
EECP Therapy and ECP Therapy Clinical Trials Abstract Library
- All Clinical Studies
- Angina Clinical Studies
- Congestive Heart Failure Trials
- Ischemic Heart Failure
- ECP & Diabetes
- General Clinical Studies
- Cerebral Ischemia & Stroke
- Erectile Dysfunction